Time flies...

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Rules of Etiquette?

I'm going to piggyback on a Parenting Hacks post (love them, see side bar) today. Here they've listed rules for children's behavior. Maddie's entering the age where we can't smile apologetically in and give the "well, she's just a baby" shrug when she has a tantrum or steals a toy from another kid. I'm not going to say that parents are actually supposed to be in complete control of of their toddler's behavior...but you can sure get the stink eye when they act up in the grocery store. And then there was that little puzzle-stealing incident in the library... Although we've still got a while before door-holding and not slurping soup, I'm sure it's good to know ahead of time the rules you'd like to have in place when your kids are older.

We're big about eating meals together, "please" and "thank you", and "excuse me", right now. We'd also like her to stop tormenting our poor dog. And of course there's the screeching-when-mad thing. But come on, she's 1.

My goal is for my kids is for them to be the kind of kids I love to teach. They don't have to wait to be spoken to to speak all the time, but when they talk to adults, they speak, well, like they're talking adults. There's definitely some etiquette I'd like my kids to have, ideally. I'm not sure how much of our house rules would include these antiquated rules from the 50's listed below... but you never know how rigid I'll get in my old age, as I edge towards 30.

Anybody have to follow these rules when they were kids?
What's your big house rule?

Here are some etiquette “rules” or “suggestions” addressed to children from the 1950s that I found on a loose sheet from an old handbook, I thought they were interesting to share.

Considering that these were standard expectations just 50 years ago, it’s a reminder of how fast things can change.

CHILDREN IN THE HOME

  1. Always greet the members of your family when you enter and always bid them goodbye when you leave.
  2. Always rise to a standing position when visitors enter, and greet them after your elders.
  3. Never address a visitor until he has started the conversation unless he is a person of your own age or younger.
  4. Never interrupt a conversation. Wait until the party talking has finished.
  5. Always rise when your visitor or your elders stand.
  6. Never let your mother or your father bring you a chair or get one for themselves. Wait on them instead of being waited on.
  7. If you leave or cross the room you should say “Excuse me.”
  8. If a visitor should say, “I am glad to have seen you,” you should say, “Thank you.”
  9. Never run up and down the stairs or across the room.
  10. Talk in a low, even voice. It denotes refinement.
  11. Always give way to the younger child. It is your duty to look after them instead of fretting them.
  12. Never retire without bidding the members of your family good night.

Follow these suggestions and you will assist in making the members of your family happy as well as in benefiting them in many other ways.

No comments: